Sunday, November 6, 2011

Went to Reed's

  Went to Reed's Indoor Range in Santa Clara today. I replaced my guide rod and hammer spring two days ago on my P-01 and wanted to check for reliability today. I replaced the stock guide rod with the same polymer guide rod that I bought from CZ USA's online store. Still debating if I should go with the aluminum one I saw on their website but I'm not sure how that extra weight might affect the gun's balance in my hands. Bought 2 more extra guide rods to keep on hand just in case the guide rod warps again somewhere down the line. I had exactly 2000 rounds before I replaced it.

  The stock hammer srping I replaced with a 15lb Wolf hammer spring. Some people say you must also replace the firing pin spring and recoil spring whenever you change your hammer spring lest you get occasional light strikes. Well, so far, after 200 rounds on Federal Champion 115gr from Walmart, I haven't had a problem yet with the new hammer spring installed. Shoots like a champ as always. As for pull weight from differences between the stock spring to the Wolf Spring, I'd say there is a bit of difference there. It's not overly dramatic as say if you got a trigger job, but it did lessen the pull weight enough that I was much more comfortable shooting in DA mode. I was definitely more accurate as well as I could place my shots where I wanted to just like in SA. It's still a bit of a pull, but I kinda like it in terms of the P-01 doing duty as a home defense type pistol. I don't want a 1911 hair trigger for a HD pistol because I feel there'd be no room for error.
  Round count today is 200 rounds of Federal Champion 115gr which brings the total number of rounds fired in the P-01 to date to 2200 rounds. 200 rounds with the new hammer spring without any issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment